Building code: MRT
In 1972, Morisset Hall was built to centralize the administration of the library system, and to house the social sciences and humanities library. Built at a cost of $7 million, Morisset Hall was designed to hold 800,000 books and to serve over 2,000 users at a time. Today, Morisset Hall also houses a map library, the Multimedia Distribution Service, le Centre de recherche en civilisation canadienne-française (CRCCF), CHUO, Ottawa’s campus and community radio, and laboratories and studios operated by the Department of Communications. It was named after Father Auguste Morisset, director of the university’s libraries from 1934 to 1958. Father Morisset also founded and directed the Library School at the University of Ottawa from 1958 to 1971. Described as a cheerful worry-wart, he worked diligently to build the university’s libraries and the Library School. Father Morisset died in the summer of 1989.