100 Laurier Avenue East
Building code: LRR
Previously named the Juniorat du Sacré-Coeur, this building is the oldest on campus. Built in 1893–94, this building stands out because its stone facade resembles a fortified castle. The Juniorat du Sacré-Coeur offered a classical education to young men who chose to pursue a religious life and to join the Order of the Oblates. Both students and professors lived in the building, where some 155 courses were also given. In 1937, a new section was added behind the building. Only in 1970 did this site, where the Department of Visual Arts and the Institute for Canadian Studies are now located, become the property of the University of Ottawa.